A Love Movement

I woke up from an afternoon nap with my son and there was a vaaib, an electric feeling abuzz. I had had a terrible week, fighting back demons and lots of tears. Writing this, I still am not entirely sure just what exactly I was sad about. I did a routine check of all my emotional baggage and found no new items since last weeks count so I was perplexed. But as I opened my eyes from Saturdays afternoon nap, I did so with a smile. A good sign of things to come or of something that had just passed I thought. 
Fast forward to the evening, the restaurant is dimly lit but our centerpiece, a lone candle flickers, brighter then dimmer, brighter then dimmer. Its flame dancing but providing just enough light for Steph, who pulls out a book and begins to read an excerpt from “all about love” by Bell Hooks.

Youth culture today is cynical about love. And that cynicism has come from their pervasive feeling that love cannot be found. Expressing this concern in When All You’ve ever Wanted isn’t Enough, Harold Kushner writes: “I am afraid that we may be raising a generation of young people who will up afraid to love, afraid to give themselves completely to another person, because they will have seen how much it hurts to take the risk of loving and have it not work out. I am afraid that they will grow up looking for intimacy without risk, for pleasure without significant emotional investment. They will be so fearful of the pain of disappointment that they will forgo the possibilities of love and joy.” Young people are cynical about love. Ultimately, cynicism is the great mask of the disappointed and betrayed heart.

I am moved. This is not the kind of legacy I want for my son. I am raising a lover and I had never considered that perhaps I should also be raising a soldier of love. That I would have to raise him to not only believe in love and to live it but to fight for it, keep it alive and inspire the same in others. We pledge allegiance to many causes. We’re fighting to save the rhino, the planet, electricity, water, time and money.  So I ask you, how about love?
Fast forward again and Steph and I have moved across to the bar area of The Loft. It’s a very intimate venue; truly the better for us to be enveloped by the evenings’ musical soundscape. Introducing: Pebbles with a 3 piece band delivering jazz standards from Ella Fitzgerald, Amy Winehouse, Ray Charles and Frank Sinatra just to name a few. A journey through love she told us, from the heart fluttering beginnings to a heart wrenching lament from her own album, Phenomenal, “(Please don’t say that) its over”.  The nights’ theme was consistent.

From my conversation with Steph, which was inspired by the book and tweets from @geeisdope about love. I’d like to pull out 2 things for you to consider:

      1. A mutual understanding of love and its responsibilities and an appreciation of its rewards
      2. Being part of a natural love movement that converses about love with the obvious aim of   
          understanding and living it truthfully.

This is what I thought of the 2 points.

1. Despite my obvious inclination towards conversations about love I can’t say that I have gone deep enough to truly extract its essence and know it. What is Love? I kept thinking.
2. I believe that I am part of this natural love movement I can’t however be convinced at this stage that it’s consistently so or if I’m even averaging a positive contribution towards the movement.

“Schools for love do not exist. Everyone assumes that we will know how to love instinctively. “

We are constantly informed and bombarded by elements that threaten to destroy love. Our learned and accepted behavior is that relationships are disposable. If it doesn’t work out, we find someone else. With that kind of prevailing logic what chance do our committed bonds, marriages and families have?

I would love to be able to round this off in a nice and tidy fashion but its painfully impossible to do so. I don’t have a fully formed personal opinion post the weekends contemplations. My only hope is that this post has provided you with some food for thought.

Feast.

p.s The Loft is planning on hosting more of these evenings. Follow me at @mamakashaka to stay updated or search for #jazzattheloft 

No comments:

Post a Comment