Music & Boys

Some time back I spent the good part of an afternoon going through my itunes library and fondly thinking about an ex boyfriend or two. I remember one ex made me a playlist and on it was Dianna Ross and Marvin Gayes “You are everything” as well as Nina Simone's “I loves you Porgy”.  Still, 2 of my favourite love songs of all time. Whenever I felt anxious one used to put me to sleep with Stings “Fields of gold”. Sweet right? Just like I like 'em. 
Then there was my la douleur exquise. 

the exquisite pain of wanting someone that you know you can never have.

He once sent me Aretha Franklin's “Crazy he calls me”. I was beyond crazy over him. 
Dude was working with some other kind of chi.

I also started considering how many heartbreaks I had nursed with music and in particular to Miles Davis’s Kind of Blue, Nina Simone's Greatest Hits and of course Whitney Houston! 
Its safe to say that when dealing with heartbreak I pretty much embody every kind of rom com cliche. From listening to the blues a love ballad or two, the "he aint shit/you'll find someone else" congregation with my girls, over relating accompanied with tearful bouts while watching others lose and find love on the telly, lots of wine and pep talks to the mirror reminding myself that I am still a full person without him. Its a tried and trusted part of a process that has indeed gotten me through a few heartbreaks.

It has always been fascinating to me how each betrayal and each joy finds a complimentary soundtrack. That somebody else has felt what you feel and has long composed it into song way before you’ve even formulated words to express yourself with. Music is powerful. 
The woman who has consistently managed to capture so much of what I feel and have gone through is Nina Simone. I love Nina like the average fashionista stays feeling Solange. 
The play between vocal and instruments in her music feels more elevated in her music as though these were not mere beats being ridden. 
More like a duet between her and that particular instrument. 
Be it her and the piano in “Love me or leave me” or for that matter in “The other woman” or during the bridge in “I put a spell on you” the trumpet there! My gawd!

I hit up the homie, MK and asked her to share some of her moments with me.  
She's the other half to the deejaying duo Doepelganger and her love for music is also evident in her contributions on the site Doepelganger a collective of life lovers inspired by fashion, culture, music, the world today, dreams, friendships, collaboration and sharing, expression in all forms, femininity, masculinity, 2011 and the future."



Q: How would you describe the relation between music and love?

A: Wow this is a tough question. I want to be simplistic and throw in the cliché ‘music is love’ but I will attempt to answer it in the briefest but most articulate way. Music is about feeling, but more than that it’s about beauty, freedom, escape and it’s the ultimate epitome of life. Through music you are transported into this world of pure emotion, and the most amazing thing about it is that emotion is expressed physically. You laugh, you cry, you smile, you dance, you bop your head, your sing out loud, you rap along, you twitch, you tap your feet…it takes over your body. In that way I think music is love. When you love  someone you cannot help but express that love. It seeps through your entire being, it enriches you, it offers sustenance and comfort, it is happiness but sometimes it is pain. It’s just this simple but also complex thing that is almost hard to put into words because it is everything we live for. so maybe the relation between music and love is expression.

Q: Have you ever made or received a mix tape from a dude? If so what tracks jumped out at you and why?

A: I am going to assume by dude you mean someone I was romantically involved with. So to answer your question, yes I have made a few mixtapes in my life. In fact you could even say it’s part of my game hehehe. There is nothing in my opinion more charming than receiving a mixtape or even a song from someone you are romancing with.  

If you could single out a song to compliment the following moments in a relationship what would it be?

Q: The song that perfectly captures the honeymoon phase or pre relationship?
A: Toss up between  “Kick Your Game” – TLC and Esperanza Spalding “I Know You Know”

Q: The perfect soundtrack to the first time you uhm you know!
A: Ha! Well the first time I uhm’d you know was far from perfect so if I could have a do-over I would want this song to compliment that moment. It is theeeeee sexiest song in the world, video drama aside.
 “Untitled (How does it feel?)” – D’Angelo

Q: The song that has in the past put to beat and words your heartbreak so poignantly and on point that you felt as though you had composed the track your damn self.
A: “Let it Die” – Feist

Q: The perfect I'm just crushing song.
A: “I confess” - Bahamadia

I asked MK to compile a little something something for the Feast readers. Hopefully it will get you out of the mid week slump or better yet have you reminiscing about a certain somebody or feeling.





FEAST!


No comments:

Post a Comment