Easy Sunday Lunching


feat Nothando Moleketi

Just the other night I was reading an old article on the Times website titled “The Magic of the Family Meal”. Part of my zeal with upping my culinary game is because I have a family of my own now. My son has only just started eating solids but as far as I’m concerned that gives me just enough time to play around with what he will eventually dub “my momma’s cooking.” Its also because kids who dine with parents are generally happier, healthier and are better students. The article also goes on to describe cooking as “a sacred event” which I completely agree with. The writer also threw in that he found cooking, arguably, more central than sex. His logic, “You can keep a population by having sex once a year but you have to eat three times a day." I don’t know about all that. We're well beyond having sex purely for the purpose of procreation but I digress. There is however something I find oddly sensuous about some dining experiences though.

Earlier in the week I was watching, one of my favourite movies, Chocolat and shared with Thando, my favourite scene from the movie. It’s a birthday dinner and it really starts as the women prepare the food. There’s a nice rhythm to the preparation of a good meal that one could even consider a type of foreplay. Most of the guests are seated as the delectable Johnny Depp and leading lady Julliette Binoche bring out the last of the feasts offerings. The guests are weary. They live in a town where indulgence of any kind is frowned upon. Where the measure of good is based on what you deny yourself. Yet here they all are. The scene begins with a hand passing down a bowl of chocolate “gravy”, someone pours the chocolate sauce over what looks like lamb cutlets another on a poultry of some kind. We fast forward to a slow motion montage of mouths chewing, chocolate gravy on the lips, a man licks his finger, the shared ohmigaad glances across the table complemented by a Parisian soundtrack which is kicked of with a pleasurable, “Mmmmm” from one of the guests. The scene ends abruptly yet appropriately with laughter and cheer from the guests. That’s one of my favourite moments from the movie. 
I know that feeling. I love that feeling and I want more of that feeling but not all dining experiences are like this and as I assured, Thando, nor do I require them to be.  

As per my introductory post, one of my resolutions for the year 2012 was to feast, to be a part of them, to create some of my own and contribute to others. In the sprit of other worldlyiness as soon as I uttered the words its like a light went on in the universe and all of a sudden opportunities to realise just that were in chance conversations and meetings. One such opportunity was in a conversation with Steph, we spoke of our favourite dishes and at the end of the excited banter we resolved that we would link up soonest and she would make me a dish and I, her.  We later roped in Thando, food blogger extraordinaire. Bbm’s and a couple days later a date was made and dishes were decided upon.

Contributors in order of dishes: Me, Steph, Me, Steph, Tebogo, Koko and Thando

However, a party of 3 is hardly what one would consider a feast now is it. So the circle was made gloriously beeger by extending invitations to Koko, Tebogo and Bobo. Now Bobo didn’t make her dish and when we initially enquired what she had prepared she defensively responded that she had “identified” a spot with a great curry to share. Identified?! Hahaha! Cute.
We were also joined by Kp, Lion, Muptee and her big bro, Tumi.



Thando and I spoke briefly about her blog, Jozi Foodie fix. One of her last posts was titled, “Is a Benedict,a Benedict without an English muffin?”. I found the question slightly amusing. I guess it was the way the question was posed. It had quite a scholarly feel to it, as though she was weighing an incredibly delicate but profound matter. Me liked. 
Her blog is inspired. It’s a trove of foodie experiences to whet your foodie appetite.

How long have you been blogging for and why blog about food?
 I've been blogging since the 1st quarter 2010 I think it was May. It was at the suggestion of a friend actually, and a hobby to pick up after a tough break up, the restoration phase, I tell you this because I know in the bloggerverse I am among friends.

Why food? well for me it's all about food. Food is an expression of love. I show my love and appreciation for friends & family by cooking, or ordering food (yes knowing the best place to order a specific dish, cake or tart from is an art) and of course by eating. 

What do you enjoy most about sharing a meal?
Well what I enjoy most about sharing a good meal are the flavors first, then the company and conversation. I have to say I am a food first kind of a girl, if the meal is flavorsome and well prepared then I'm won over.
I enjoy the process of figuring out what went into the dish, being able to figure out the ingredients with a single taste gives me great pleasure.

What dish would you highly recommend and from where?
Now this is a tough question because there are so many, so I'm going to give a little variety.

Fine dining
The number 1 meal I've had in South Africa has to be the Trio of Lamb at La Colombe in Cape Town. The trio were perfectly cooked medium rare medallions, melt in your mouth confit of lamb and then pan fried sweet breads (glands found in the throat of the lamb)

In Jozi, yes I'm on the fine dining tip still, Cube Tasting Kitchen 13 innovative courses that leave u satisfied. I recommend the experience and not one specific dish as the tasting menu changes every other month. Cube is all about multiple courses with different textures and techniques, fantastic for an occasion dinner with a foodie.

A goodie and don't judge a book by it's cover
The garlic prawns at the Fisherman's Plate in chinatown Cyrildene

Takeaway
Lamb shwarma (with everything on it) plus chips from the schwarma co in Norwood

At a market My favourite thing to do is to spend time at a food market, so I had to include this
1The grapefruit margarita at margaritaville in the Neighbourgoods Market Juta Str Braamfontein - i know it's not a dish but you have to have a drink.
2. The steak sandwich at The Old Biscuit Mill in Cpt 

Breakfast
Eggs Benedict at Salvation Cafe
The pickering (poached egg on basil, bacon and a slice of ciabatta topped with a slice of camembert) at Vovo Telo bakery

Pastry
Vanilla cupcakes and Red velvet cupcakes from the Patisserie in Illovo (they also make the best carrot cake in Jozi)

Thanks to Thando, I will be paying Cube a visit real soon. 

www.jozifoodiefix.blogspot.com

Guests ate their fill and I was particularly chuffed that my gnocchi was well received. Because I like simple and “common” dishes with a slight twist or just mastered, I was initially a tad weary about my selection but was in for a good surprise. Stephs avo and mango salad was fantastic. Actually, everything tasted so good and the company was amazing. We all decided to go up to the roof before settling in for desert. I had a drink or 2 and tried to move what I could to a really dope set by Dj Akio. By the time we finally settled for dessert I was convinced the evening couldn’t get better but it did. More vino as we laughed and each left feeling, I guess, high from a Sunday feast at Steph’s.

•A special thanks to Steph for letting us host the feast at her place.

No comments:

Post a Comment